Saturday, July 18, 2009

Porcupines!!! 07/18/2009

Hey ya'll! Dinner last night was so good, I ate some left overs for lunch today! And I don't like left overs very much. But I'm not a waster, so if there are leftovers, I'll maybe freeze em! But tonight I made one of my absolute favorite dishes from when I was a kid! Porcupines! For those of you that don't know, porcupines are meatballs with rice in them. Not the actual animal! lol! There are several different ways to make porcupines, but here's how I made them...

1 pound lean ground beef
1/4 cup finely chopped onion
1/2 cup uncooked rice
1/2 cup water
salt, pepper, Tony Chachere's and garlic powder. 

Mix all ingredients together. It will be kinda watery and weird, but it's okay! Roll into meatballs (about 1 1/2 to 2 inches). Heat 1 tablespoon vegetable oil in a cast iron skillet on medium heat. Place meat balls in the skillet and cook on medium heat heat until browned. If you use as lean of beef as you can find, you shouldn't have to drain grease.

Once browned, add about 2 cups of spaghetti sauce, another 1/2 cup of water, and 2 teaspoons of worcestershire sauce. Turn heat down to between low and medium-low and simmer for about 40 minutes. 

About 20 minutes before they meatballs are done simmering, start to boil some salted water for noodles. Boil spaghetti noodles until tender, drain. 

Eat like good ole spaghetti and meatballs. Just, the meatballs have rice in them. It is SOOO delicious! 

The veggie was green beans (frozen, not canned...eventhough I prefer canned. But my mom likes frozen). I cooked them in a little bit of water (just enough to cover the bottom of the small cast iron skillet), about 8 minutes. Then seasoned them with salt and T.C. 

I hope ya'll will try this one! I really think it would be a hit! We all know that spaghetti is one of the cheapest dishes to make. This was spaghetti and meatballs with a twist :). Alrighty folks, I'm out for now :). Goodnight and good eating! 

1 comment:

  1. Oh I love those! I think my dad used to cook them in a pressure cooker or something, but since I don't have a pressure cooker I thought I was out of luck! When I have more energy I will definately try these! Thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete