Sunday, July 19, 2009

Southern Fried Chicken and Mac-N-Cheese 07/19/2009

Hey ya'll! Tonight was a bit of a challenge. I have never been very good at frying chicken. But I have never really done it right. But I saw a recipe and it worked. I did it a tiny bit different, so I will tell you what I did. It turned out really really good! Oh, and of course, Bella (my dog) was laying at the edge of the kitchen. When the chicken was done she was trying to be sneaky lol. 

On to the food:

1 whole chicken, cut up. (Buy it already cut up. So much easier!)
Dry Ingredients:
3 cups flour
Approx 2 tbsp sea salt
1 tbs black pepper
2 tbsp garlic powder
2 tbsp Tony Chachere's

Wet Ingredients:
2 large eggs
2 cups milk (or buttermilk. I didn't have buttermilk)
3/4 cup BBQ sauce
1 tbsp Soy Sauce

Bring a large (tall) pot of water to boil. Once boiling well, add all pieces of chicken. Boil for about 5 minutes.
Meanwhile, combine all dry ingredients in large bowl.
In a seperate large bowl, combine wet ingredients

After 5 mins, remove chicken from water. 
Dip each piece (one at a time) in milk mixture, then flour mixture, then milk mixture again, and flour mixture again. 

Heat 2 cup vegetable oil on medium high in large cast iron skillet, to about 375 degrees (i just eye it. When it looks hot, drizzle a tiny bit of flour and listen to see if it sizzles.)

Place chicken in hot oil and fry about 10 minutes on each side. (you might want to turn the heat down just a tad. Between medium and medium high)

After all chicken is done (I had to do 3 rounds. The breasts and 1 leg. Then the thighs, a wing and a leg. Then the last wing), place on a baking pan and put in the oven at 375 degrees for about 15 minutes or so. Maybe 20, depending on your oven).

The chicken was SO flavorful! It was great!

And again, I did boxed mac-n-cheese. I actually don't have any cheese right now lol. So that's why I didn't do homemade. 

Green beans go very well with this. And maybe some dinner rolls. YUM! 

Well folks, I hope that if you try this, you enjoy it! I know we did! 

Goodnight and good eating! :)

1 comment:

  1. I have Never had chicken turn out right when I fried it so I am going to try this next time I feel like fried chicken.


    If you want to see our blog the url is http://www.theengbergs.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete